Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Back to school

Yesterday was my first full day back as a paid teacher. I sat through a long day of staff development on professional learning communities. It was held at my church, which was interesting. I think my school district chose our church because it is centrally located and the sanctuary has a big space for round tables. We also have great screens for a power point presentation. I thought it was a cool opportunity. A lot of people went to my church, stepped foot in the door, that might never go there otherwise and I got to invite a couple girls to church. I told them what Jeff does as a pastor. I explained what we were learning about in church during this series. But the real clincher, I told them we serve Starbuck's coffee for free. The church even has free half-n-half (That was a real selling point). I also told them I would be volunteering at the coffee bar on Saturday nights. I told them that church is a great way to entertain yourself on Saturday nights for free. "My husband and I save a lot of money by not going out on Saturday nights." It's true, too.

Today I met the student teacher who will be in my class teaching a science unit this semester. She goes to Cascade College. After I met her at the Butler Creek parking lot, we drove over to CHS. We heard the superintendent's address and then listened to union reps tell us a little about the new teaching contract. Then I went back to my school for a school meeting and time to work in my classroom.

This year I have 28 children in my classroom: 17 boys and 11 girls. I am a little intimidated by the number of children in my class, and specifically by the number of boys. I am hoping that my 5 years of classroom experience will make a difference. We'll see. I am hoping and praying that I will not let any of the children slip through the cracks -- that all of them will make the progress they need to make, that they make growth in reading, writing and math. I hope it will not be another repeat of the year before last. That was rough.

One of my students this year has Down Syndrome. I will have an aide in my classroom to help me out with him; actually two different aides. One of them is a new hire. I thought it was interesting that she used to work for DHS for 8 years. I am not exactly sure what she did with them. Right now she is also a foster mom, too. When I met her she said she recognized me, so I asked her if she went to church. She said she attended Abundant Life. Small world, huh? She also knows my sister-in-law, Leslie.

I wonder if God is bringing people into my life to prepare me for adoption? I am planning on making an appointment to talk to a counselor about my infertility and preparing for adoption. I want to unload my baggage, grieve my losses and move on, if possible.

I have also realized something else, my dear pregnant and mother friends. Having pregnant friends, family members and co-workers may be the closest I ever get to being pregnant myself. This is my chance to experience pregnancy vicariously through people that I love. So I should enjoy the stories, the parties, and buying the cute little clothes. This is my chance to enjoy them, too. A good thing to realize.
Peace out!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Erin, I'm excited for you going back to school! I will have to live vicariously through you now since I am not teaching! :)
You have so much integrity and I admire the way you have handled this difficult part of your life. I'm excited for you also as you pursue adoption. One way or another God will bless you and the child that He brings into your life.

Mike Vermace said...

Erin - cool blogpost!